Friday, October 24, 2008

Awkward but great news!!

So a few weeks ago I found a lump the size of a carnival token about 1 inch below my collarbone. I went to see a nurse practitioner and she thought it was "suspicious." ( I don't know what else it would be.) So she sent me to radiology to get an ultrasound done. The radiologist said you need to go and see a general surgeon. Great! I know I am a nurse and all but surgery and me do not go together. So I went to see the surgeon and when the MA called my name to bring me back into one of the rooms I knew who she was. Dude I love this girl, we worked together for a couple of years and I was her photographer for her wedding. Anyway, we chit-chatted, she took my vitals and then left and said the doc would be in soon. Anyway, the doc comes in and says he needs to do a breast exam. Whatever, like I care, I have all ready had a baby and we all know after that, you are kind of free to the world. So I got into my gown and when the Doc came back he came with a friend, oh no wait, it was my friend. This is where the awkward situation hit. Blah, blah, blah. Needless to say, we are a bit better of friends today!!! So the Surgeon said, " I think that tumor is suspicious and I need you to come back so we can do biopsies." "Oh wow", I thought, lets see so in the last 10 days, I have been opening my gown to 4 docs and I get to come back again! Anyway I came back and had 6 biopsies done and no my friend was not there this time, just another girl. Anyway, I was supposed to call the office to find out my results in two days. I called and they transfered me to someone who had authority to tell me my results. She asked for my info. and then said, " Ummm actually, I'm going to have the surgeon give you a call personally so he can give you those results." Yep, I freaked. Great I thought I have cancer. And then I did the best thing possible, I finished my work day where I go visit terminal patients who have cancer. ( It was horrible) Then I started to think positively. Hey, guess that means I can stop working and stay home. Ha ha ha. Anyway, the doc and me played phone tag until the next day when he called me on my work phone. What great news... I felt to relieved...No signs of cancer or precancerous cells, the tumor is just made of fat and that means no surgery!!! So now I have to hit the gym because I not only worry about the fat below my waist I get to work on the fat above my waist. He he!!!

10 comments:

Shannon said...

He He, yep that would be me. Ya it was awkward but im glad it all turned out well. Ooh heavens I've had to help with a lot of peole I know lately and I always wonder how they feel about it. Its not so fun being on the other side of this medical feild. I've been learning that lately too. I was glad to see you though. Hope next time I run into you it will be for better reasons. Take Care.

Charee B Mcclellan said...

ohhh that post really scared me! you don't need anymore cancer or anything in your family! sorry that you had to go through all of the yucky exams, but glad all was well. i have seen a bunch of my friends naked too, and me and them just get over it cuz its all part of life! glad that you are so positive. about the usu game, we would love to go...i am not sure if we will be filling up to it with all of the illness in our home and being up late every night sure makes us tired. we will call you if we do end up getting the energy...cuz i really would love to go.

The White's said...

O Iam so glad things are ok. Wow that was scary to read. Good! Your good and that is great.

Jonny and Amber said...

Glad to hear everything is alright. That would be very scary. Tell Bub Happy Birthday! The big boy is getting older and older.

Kristen Jensen said...

Oh wow, what a story! I'm so glad you're okay!

Kristen Jensen said...

well I'm really glad that you and I are still friends and that we could get in touch through blogging. xoxoxo We have a long history too!

Katy said...

I'm glad everything turned out okay. I try not to go to any hospitals/doctors that I know or places where I know of someone that works there, but when you live in a small town...you really can't get around it!! :)

Jennie Z said...

Scary!! I am glad everything is okay.

Amy said...

Danielle, this post is so funny! I am laughing to myself at my work. Not as awkward as your long lost friend seeing your virtue, but still a bit awkward.

I'm glad everything is A-okay!

Brooke said...

I'm glad that everything ended up ok. You all look so great for Halloween!