Wednesday, October 24, 2012

The PHAST- There is a first time for everything

 After lots of training I completed my first sprint triathlon.  It was so much fun!  I think I have the racing fever.
 I felt lucky to be able to train on the same trail and aquatics center where the race would be held since it was basically in our backyard.
 It is not a secret that I am not a swimmer.  Not only that, but swimming is down right scary to me.  I grew up boating on Utah Lake and we were always on the water.  Never ever do I remember ever being in the water without my life vest. The water there scared me, it was so dark you could not see through the water at all.  I was so scared that if I went under the water nobody would ever find me.  
 I signed up for this race knowing it would be a blast but also because I knew it was time to face my fears and get over them.  I don't want to be scared to take my girls swimming because I don't know how to swim and I could not save them if they were in trouble.  So I did it.  I signed up, payed the money and trained like crazy. I went to the pool a couple times a week. I went from not being able to sleep at night because I was scared to swim the next morning, to not even being able to swim a half a lap, to swimming 700 yards.  28 laps total.  
I finished the race in 5th place out of the women finishing at 1hr and 48 min.  The race was a 700 yard swim, 13 mile bike ride, and 5k.  Thanks to my sweet friend Megan for encouraging me to sign up and giving me some swimming lessons, and to my sweet hubby for supporting me.  Hailey and Mia-anything is possible if you just put your mind to it and work hard.  Love you girls!

4 comments:

Beck said...

Congrats woman. That is so awesome!!!

Jen said...

That is AWESOME Danielle! Way to GO! :) maybe someday I will achieve something as big as that, you are an inspiration! :)

tere said...

Dad and I are so proud of you! You are such an amazing woman. Those girls are blessed to have you as their mommy. It really is family team effort. Thanks to Brandon for helping you. love you all.

Ryans said...

Very cool. No wonder you look so great!